Lemon Drizzle Cake is a bit of a special one for me, this was actually one of the first cakes that I tried to master on my own without my Mum’s help. I used to try lots of different recipes, fatless sponge, eggless sponge, you name it, I had tried it!
After experimenting with lots of recipes, I tweaked and combined them and ended up with what essentially is a classic sponge but with added ZESTY ZING!
This recipe is great for all citrus fruit, so you can adapt it by using the zests and juice of other fruits such as oranges, limes or pink grapefruit if you want to be different.
- 175g margarine (room temperature)
- 175g sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1.5 Lemons (Zest – that’s the top yellow outer edge of the lemon)
For the drizzle:
- 0.5 lemon zest
- 125g sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC, gas mark 4 and prepare your loaf tin, by greasing it or lining it with grease proof paper.
- Whisk your sugar and butter until light and fluffy, then add your eggs and half the flour. Gently whisk, until combined.
- Now add your milk, lemon zest and the remaining flour. Gently whisk until fully combined.
- Pour your mix into your prepared baking tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- When your cake is baked, remove it from the oven and place to one side whilst you make the drizzle.
- Mix the sugar, zest and lemon juice together and spoon the drizzle over the top of your cake.
- Leave to cool, then remove the cake from the tin. When it’s completely cooled you should have a nice sugary crust.
Don’t forget to tag @choccolotties in your photos on social media – links below.
Love, Keeley x